[mythtv-users] iMac as possible Frontend?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Mar 7 04:57:56 UTC 2008

On Mar 6, 2008, at 8:53 PM, Dustin Herrman wrote:

> Greeting,
>
> I am wanting to put a Myth Frontend in my kid's playroom.  We don't
> have
> an extra TV, so I was thinking of getting an old iMac on eBay.  I have
> read the couple of articles on the wiki about this, but was
> wondering if
> anyone is actually doing this and how is it working?  Would you
> recommend a G4? G5? Intel?
>
> Any advice is welcomed.
>
> Thanks,
> dusty

My daughter uses a 17" iMac G5 1.6 GHz. It does standard def without a
problem, but stutters on high def. I'm sure it just needs a tiny but
more speed to play back high-def smoothly. If you're only doing SD,
they're great. I would recommend getting a USB IR receiver and using a
remote since it's for kids. My daughter is 10 and sometimes gets
irritated controller her "tv" with a keyboard all the time. She's much
more comfortable with a regular remote control when watching TV.
Keyboards are for clubpenguins.com. :)