[mythtv-users] Opinion on a P4 Backend // HDD Throughput

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 22:52:01 UTC 2008

> When recording, Myth inserts stuff into the database like crazy, which
> results in a lot of head thrashing (write stream one, write to database,
> write stream two, write to database)  Throughput on the drives can be
> fine, but as soon as you're causing constant seeking, the system starts to
> suffer.
>
> Greg

The OP asked if his hardware would handle 4 tuners/4 frontends.  Yesterday,
I was able to watch 3 different things, record 5 different things,
commercial flag 2 of the 5 recordings - simultaneously, on 7 year old
hardware.  I was recording to 1 LVM comprised of 2 ATA 133 hard drives.  It
seems to me that if that won't push it too far, then I don't know what
will.

I think we need a better definition of "like crazy" and "a lot" before we
build systems around it.