[mythtv-users] Two independent X servers, one running MythTV on ATI Radeon x300 dual-head card

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Wed Mar 5 20:25:29 UTC 2008

Hi folks,

At the moment I haven't got the resources to build a dedicated MythTV
box but I do have a 2.4GHz overclocked dual core Pentium Dual-Core PC
with a load of memory.  Now in the evenings it's pretty much sitting
idle, maybe just being used for a bit of web browsing and e-mail.

So I thought, why not use the second video card output for media on the
TV.

The video card I have is a PCI-Express ATI Radeon X300 (I think it's
128MB).  It has dual DVI outputs with one connection going to my 17" LCD
monitor though a DVI to VGA adaptor and the other connection is going to
my 32" HD LCDTV through a DVI to HDMI cable.

Now I've managed to get a mirrored display up (although for some reason
it's running the same resolution on both screens - 1280x768) using the
Open Source ati driver and also the fglrx driver.

I've also managed to get two desktops up using the fglrx driver so I can
drag windows between them.

What I can't do however is get two separate X servers running, one
running my usual desktop PC login and another just running a basic
window manager and MythTV and have them both running at independent
resolutions (1280x1024 for the LCD monitor and 1360x758 or 1280x768).

I just wondered if anyone has managed to do get something like this
working?

I also have another Radeon X300 card which I could fit in the second
PCI-E slot if need be, I'm just really looking for a stop gap solution
for now until I can get the bits together to build a dedicated box.

Ta,

Rob