[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HD-PVR

David George david at thegeorges.us
Wed Mar 5 16:20:51 UTC 2008

On 03/04/2008 07:34 PM, John P Poet wrote:
> I was curios why you chose MJPEG2000 over H.264.  I can across this thread:
>
> http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=91569

There were a few reasons.  I really wanted to go with H.264 AVC because
there are more tools available for it and was concerned about codec
support for MJPEG2000.  In the end time pressures, licensing, and
hardware complexity pushed us toward MJPEG2000.  Also, the JPEG2000
compression chips were more available than the MPEG4/H.264 chips we were
able to find.  In the comparisons I found MJPEG2000 compared favorably
in file size and quality to H.264 AVC, but I have to admit I don't
recall coming across H.264 AVC FRExt.

--
David