[mythtv-users] It's over, the RIAA is toast

Sarah Hayes sarah at sarahhayes.is-a-geek.net
Wed Mar 5 12:28:06 UTC 2008

Joe Borne wrote:
> The article says it all. You're all intelligent people, I'll let you
> discern for yourself why this is the death knell of the RIAA.
>
> /"It looks like Trent Reznor's new Nine Inch Nails album experiment
> <http://slashdot.org/mainpage/08/03/03/1420251.shtml?tid=141> is a
> success. Among the various options
> <http://ghosts.nin.com/main/order_options> he gave fans, the most
> expensive was the $300 Limited Edition Ultra Deluxe Package. It took
> just over a day for that package to completely sell out
> <http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20080304/162842435.shtml>, earning
> Reznor $750,000 in revenue from just that option alone."
>
> http://slashdot.org/articles/08/03/05/076221.shtml
> /

As much as I wish it were so I think you'll find the hilarity of Mr.
Reznor's actions is just an annoyance to the likes of the RIAA.   This
is the same organisation who sued people for illegally obtaining music
that one of it's own artists had deposited on USB keys and liberally
spread around the globe... wasn't that NiN again?

I'm not about to do the whole global conspiracy theory and space
vampires routine, just simply point out that NiN has been in effect
beating something the size of a Brontosaurus with a small cocktail stick.

The counter argument is, not every artist has the established brand of
either Reznor himself or NiN and thus the RIAA is there to promote these
smaller artists (which we all admit is rubbish unless you mean
manufactured boy/girl bands all singing alike).

Downloaded the free sampler of Ghosts and... it's different.  Bloody
good, spooky... I'm going to get the full download version. meh :)