[mythtv-users] Will 0.21 have mytharchive work on frontends?

Scott Traurig straurig at comcast.net
Wed Mar 5 11:37:31 UTC 2008

> Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 15:44:28 -0600
> From: "Mitch Gore" <mitchell.gore at gmail.com>
>
> On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 3:00 PM, Fred Squires <fsquires at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 11:38 AM, Mark J. Small <msmall at eastlink.ca> wrote:
> >
> >  Hi everybody,
> >
> >  I've started to play with mytharchive a little bit to save some kids
> shows to
> >  DVD.  I'm currently running it on my backend machine (a Pentium III 1
> GHz
> >  box).
> >
> >  I would like to run it on my desktop (Core Duo E4400) to speed up
> transcodes a
> >  bit, but its currently set only as a frontend.
> >
> >  I've read various warnings about mytharchive on frontends using
> networked
> >  drives, and I was wondering if this will change with the soonish to be
> >  released version 0.21?
> >
> >  Mark
>
> You can run mytharchive on a Fontend Machine, just follow these steps
> (I've never used .21 but I've heard that this problem has been fixed)
> Mount the Video directory on the frontend at the same place as on the
> backend
> Setup a backend process, with no tuners, on the frontend
> Then it should work, I have mytharchive copy the files to the frontend
> (it's a setting in mytharchive) just make sure you have enought space
> on the frontend (I'm not sure if this would affect it or not)
>
> --
>

>I wish mytharchive even worked for me.  I  always get tons of  errors then
>it quites.

I haven't been following this thread but I am running 0.21 build 5xxxx
(can't remember exact number) and had all kinds of problems with mytharchive
until I changed the setting for working directory to
/accountthatrunsmyth/Temp. This was under ubuntu. I would suggest checking
your mytharchive working directory settings (under the appropriate setup
page in the frontend).

st