[mythtv-users] new video2ipod script released!

Jeff volckaert jvolckaert at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 21:05:23 UTC 2008

I liked mencoder better, too. I actually started this mission by using

> "podencoder", a script which uses mencoder. It's nice because it will
> read any file mplayer will read.
>
> For whatever reason, though, I was unable to get 720x480 output to
> work on the iPod using mencoder, but it worked fine when using ffmpeg.
> I suspect it's a matter of figuring out which strange options the iPod
> requires.
>
> I arranged the options to group them together.  For 320x240 I use "-vf-add
scale=320:240".

nice -+19 mencoder -ofps 25 -of lavf -lavfopts
format=mp4:i_certify_that_my_video_stream_does_not_use_b_frames -af
lavcresample=44100 -vf-add harddup -vf-add scale=320:240 -oac lavc -ovc lavc
-lavcopts
aglobal=1:vglobal=1:acodec=libfaac:abitrate=128:vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=384:keyint=25
-o $VIDEODIR/pda/$TITLE-$STARTTIME-$SUBTITLE.mp4 $VIDEODIR/$FILENAME -quiet

> What bitrate do you use?
>
> For mpeg4 it's configurable up to 2500kbps, and for h264 it's up to
> 1500kbps. Both of those are the max that the iPod will support by
> default. What I found strange is that when I reduced the bitrate, the
> filesize and encode speed didn't drop all that much, so I didn't see
> much point in dropping the bitrate. At 2500kbps for mpeg4, I'm seeing
> about 1gig/hour. It's a lot bigger than the typical divx/xvid movie,
> but to have a video that looks great both on the screen and on the
> iPod is pretty nice.

I use 384K for video and 128K for audio and get a filesize around 160M for
an hour long show with the commercials chopped out (40mins).  I usually keep
around 20+ hours of Mythtv on my Ipod Touch which I think is great.
Playback seems perfect to me.  I probably watch at least an hour a day on
the Touch.

Jeff