[mythtv-users] distorted sound (bump)

matt lutz myth.matt.lutz at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 20:01:08 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 2:05 PM, Craig Courtney <craig at dawnsedge.com> wrote:

>  On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 12:10 AM, matt lutz <myth.matt.lutz at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > switched between onboard sound (snd_hda_intel on M2N-E motherboard) and
> > a USB turtlebeach sound card w/ optical spdif
> > AC3 or DTS passthrough work fine
> > mplayer has the same problem that myth does.  I thought VLC was fine,
> > but it (while much better) also seems to be a problem.
> >
> > The problem itself is basically a horrible distortion in sound for
> > anything other than AC3/DTS passthrough.  It's worked for about 6 months
> > before I tried ripping some DVDs last week, and ever since then, I've had
> > the problem.
> >
> > I've tried everything on the thread referenced above, as well as
> > completely uninstalling snd-base & alsa-base, and re-installing. Nothing
> > seems to work.  My only next step is to completely rebuild my server, but as
> > this is also my master backend, I'd REALLY rather not do that.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions?
> >
> Are you sure it's the sound output that's a problem or is it the file
> itself that has distortion?
> Is it all media or only new tv shows that have problems, do you have any
> older shows that play fine?
> I do have a problem with the latest IVTV drivers recording with extreme
> distortion on my machine which forced me to rellback to previous versions
> and deal with occasional DMA lockups.  My backend is run on CentOS 5.1using the ATRPMS video4linux packages.  I can't get to atrpms or my mythtv
> server right now to give exact packages but the july of 07 version of
> video4linux and video4linux-ivtv work for me but the december ones cause
> distortion problems for recordings.
Thanks to all for your replies.

There aren't any mixer settings for the USB audio, which I'm currently
using.  I could go back to the onboard sound and play with those levels, but
I did do that originally and didn't see much of a difference.  I may try
again though.

I'm only playing one type of media at a time, so I don't think they're
stepping on each other.

It's definately not hte recordings.  This happens on recordings that I know
are good that I previously recorded, and my other frontends do not have a
problem with current (or previous) recordings.

thanks for your help guys.  I guess I'll just rebuild the damn thing.  It's
just frustrating because I feel like I should be able to figure this out.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/attachments/20080304/9a11feab/attachment.htm 

More information about the mythtv-users mailing list