[mythtv-users] new video2ipod script released!

Jeff Simpson jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu
Tue Mar 4 16:14:32 UTC 2008

I'm pleased to announce the release of my video2ipod script!

format ffmpeg can read for input, output is mpeg4 or h264 videos in
iPod format.

Motivation: A lot of scripts of this type exist, but none of them do
everything I wanted. I figured if I was going to go through all the
hassle of writing up a script, I may as well share it with the
community

Features: (Here's what sets it apart):
* full resolution videos for iPod. Perfect for plugging your iPod into
a TV. I've tested up to 720x480 in both h264 and mpeg4 on my 5.5G
video iPod, and they look stunning. It can do lower resolutions as
well, of course.
* MythTV export. set up video2ipod as a user job and give it CHANID
and STARTTIME, and it will pull the rest of the information from the
database.
* tv.com lookup of tv shows. It will look up the episode to get
episode number, season number, summary, and other information. Slight
misspellings are handled by finding "best fit" for an episode name,
and keeping the Myth episode name if the match isn't close enough.
* Translation table included for TV show names that don't match up with tv.com
* mp4 tagging in iTunes format. AtomicParsley is used to tag the
title, episode, episode number, season number, summary, and other tags
for the iPod. Using iTunes, these should properly show up in the right
sections on the iPod. There is not currently an app for linux that can
read those tags when loading the ipod, unfortunately.
* Black-bar detection and cropping. Not recommended for TV where the
bars change often, but great for DVDs or videos that have bars in them
already.

This is the first public release of the script. I've been the only one
using it so far, but it's worked great.

http://wiki.jeffornot.com/index.php/Video2ipod

Very open to comments, suggestions, bug reports, etc. Be sure to meet
all the requirements for installation. There are some weird perl
modules you'll need, and you'll need AtomicParsley, ffmpeg, and
mencoder/midentify.