[mythtv-users] cleanup after MythArchive

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Mar 4 10:50:14 UTC 2008

John Pilkington wrote:
> Rod Smith wrote:
>
>> On Monday 03 March 2008 18:48:55 Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
>>
>>> I just had my first successful run with MythArchive to make an ISO file and
>>> it has left some files behind - intermediate files, some quite large. Am I
>>> expected to clean up after or is there some process that removes everything
>>> but the resulting ISO?
>>>
>> AFAIK, there's no automatic cleanup provision; however, when you create
>> another DVD with MythArchive, it'll automatically delete all the old files,
>> so they won't multiply like tribbles until they fill your hard disk. If your
>> disk is cramped enough that losing a few gigabytes to these files is a
>> problem, I recommend you delete them manually.
>>

> I think you'll find that they are needed by the internal player if you
> 'play created dvd' - it doesn't playback from the iso image.  For that
> you could try
>
>   xine "dvd://path/to/mythburn.iso"

The work files will be deleted the next time you create a DVD. The
latest version does remove some of the largest intermediate work files
after the script completes successfully. I'd much prefer to leave them
around because it makes debugging easier if you have the work files to
look at but I got fed up of people complaining so relented and it does
delete most of the largest files. John is correct you cannot delete any
files in the dvd directory because they are used to test play the
created DVD and also allows you to burn another copy if required from
the Archive menu. There's actually no need to create the iso image
unless you are going to move the iso to another computer to burn so that
can save typically 4Gb if you don't have that option checked.

Paul H.