[mythtv-users] distorted sound (bump)

matt lutz myth.matt.lutz at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 05:10:34 UTC 2008

Hey all,

I realize bumping an email is bad etiquette, but I'm out of options on this
sound issue I'm having.  The original thread is here:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/319556#319556

Brad had some suggestions, but my situation is unchanged.  Here's a brief
rundown:

switched between onboard sound (snd_hda_intel on M2N-E motherboard) and a
USB turtlebeach sound card w/ optical spdif
AC3 or DTS passthrough work fine
mplayer has the same problem that myth does.  I thought VLC was fine, but it
(while much better) also seems to be a problem.

The problem itself is basically a horrible distortion in sound for anything
other than AC3/DTS passthrough.  It's worked for about 6 months before I
tried ripping some DVDs last week, and ever since then, I've had the
problem.

I've tried everything on the thread referenced above, as well as completely
uninstalling snd-base & alsa-base, and re-installing. Nothing seems to
work.  My only next step is to completely rebuild my server, but as this is
also my master backend, I'd REALLY rather not do that.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I've attached the lsmod & lspci from my system.  I'm running an mythbuntu
7.10 on an AMD64.

thanks,
matt