[mythtv-users] New Frontend, Any gotchas with Compact Flash storage

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Mon Mar 3 23:53:55 UTC 2008

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, Paul Bender wrote:

> MiniMyth runs the entire image from RAM. However, since the image is
> compressed, it is read-only. Therefore, unionfs is used to make it
> read-write.
>
> MiniMyth supports SDTV resolution displays using 512MB of RAM and
> supports HDTV resolution displays using 1024MB of RAM, so 2GB of RAM
> would be somewhat overkill.

The two FE boxes I'm running both do 1080p rendering and support HD
video.  One box (much older) only has 512MB of memory.  Also when doing
"diskless", you don't get a swap partition either so I tend to think
heavy on the RAM anyway.  I agree using a compressed ram disk helps a
lot (but not enough in one case for me).  Also, the 2GB in the other
machine cost me an entire $49 at newegg - I had planned for 1GB but
figured what the heck when I saw the price.

I'm not trying to sleight minimyth here.  I'm don't have any objection
to it.  Just explaining my own thought process here when I did what I
did.

  -Mike

--

Mike Isely