[mythtv-users] why you use myth...like myth, or hate Microsoft

Dave Sherohman dave at sherohman.org
Mon Mar 3 21:45:54 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-01 at 12:15 -0800, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:
> So i'm wondering...why did you start to use myth...

None of the above, really.

I'd been using Linux both personally and professionally for some years
following an incident which caused me to forever swear off developing
code on any OS for which I was not able to obtain the source[1] and then
my Tivo died.  Tivo was starting to get in bed with the DRM crowd at
that point, plus a friend had recently showed me how cool his Myth box
was, so I decided to build one of my own instead of getting a new Tivo
unit.

The fact that Myth was Linux-based wasn't really a factor, as I seem to
recall Tivo running Linux, too.  But it had a good feature set and, much
like my decision to swear off coding for Windows, I also liked the
white-box aspect and the resulting extensibility in comparison to Tivo
being largely locked-down by design, despite the internal use of FOSS.

My specific background and preference were responsible for my decision
to install it package-by-package on Debian instead of following any of
the popular rpm-based guides or Mythdora, though.  I might have tried
Mythbuntu if it was around at the time, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't.

[1] I don't like being unable to do anything more for my users/customers
than shrug and say "Try reinstalling.  That usually works."

--
News aggregation meets world domination.  Can you see the fnews?
http://seethefnews.com/