[mythtv-users] Xine not exiting Fedora 8

Michiel acidzebra at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 20:54:46 UTC 2008

>I have xine99.5 installed from atrpms on my Fedora 8
>(2.6.23.9-85.fc8 kernel) running GNome. Mythfrontend
>version is 0.20.2-170.fc8. Installed using Jarod's
>guide.

I have had the same since Fedora 7, it all worked fine on Fedora 6.
Since I upgraded to 7 and later 8, xine will on occasion just 'hang'
after it finishes playing a file. A simple 'killall xine' on the
terminal or over SSH takes care of it, but it is really annoying. I'd
consider switching over to mplayer but I like the on-the-fly aspect
ratio switching that xine does.

I have no idea what causes the hangs, but I do have a workaround with
irexec (I assume you're using some kind of IR remote and lirc)

1) during boot, at some point after Lirc has started, start irexec
running in the background
2) add an entry like this to your .lircrc:

# Escape/Exit/Back
begin
prog = irexec
button = Back-Exit
config = /usr/bin/killall xine
end

You can of course add multiple entries, I have this programmed on the
stop button as well.
It is nasty and brutish but it does the job.

regards
Michiel