[mythtv-users] Status Update on SageTV HD Extender STX-HD100?

Paul pturpin+mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 22:03:36 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 3:52 PM, Scott D. Davilla <davilla at 4pi.com> wrote:
>>The goal would be to get a full mythtv frontend running on the sage
>>extender. The GPL code released for the sage extender includes the
>>patches to ffmpeg to enable it to use the hardware decoding, so i
>>don't think that will be the most difficult part. Much more difficult
>>(impossible?) would be getting to the point where we could run our own
>>code.
>
> That's interesting. If they have really included the patches to
> ffmpeg that enable hardware decoding, this would be the very first
> open source Linux box to offer hardware assisted mpeg4/h.265 decode.
>
> There is nothing out there in the "open source land" that can do
> hardware assisted mpeg4/h.265 decode. Zero, nada, zip.

Maybe i got over anxious. Back when the link to the released code was
posted i looked through the ffmpeg code that was posted and saw a
whole bunch of "#ifdef EM8622" (The hardware decoding chip it uses).
However now that i know more about the ffmpeg code and go back and
look at it again i am a little disappointed. Seems the patches might
be more related to working with a unit that has very little memory
instead of using the hardware decoding. I really know very little
about this type of stuff, so i could be wrong, but i am not as hopeful
as i once was.