[mythtv-users] Mac Frontend requirements for HD playback

Daniel Segel dsegel at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 02:21:43 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 4:02 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> On Sunday 29 June 2008 16:21:06 Bill Omer wrote:
> > > I presume this means it's an Intel-based Mini. If I could run Ubuntu on
> > > my G5 iMac I would.
> >
> > I guess I dont understand.  Your running OSX?  Why can't you install
> > Bootcamp and then put linux on it?   Does the G5 not support it or
> > something?  Sorry, I'm not a mac person by any means.
>
> Correct, bootcamp only works with Intel CPUs. It doesn't emulate the i386
> instruction set, it depends on having a real i386 present.
>
> There are emulators that will emulate i386 CPUs on PPC hardware, all of
> them
> that I have tried run in what might be best described as a geological
> timeframe.
>
> There are Linux distros that run on PPCs, YellowDog comes to mind, I
> believe
> Debian as well.

Thanks for the tip - Debian PPC support is way out of date so I'm going to
try Yellow Dog next (which is based on Debian as well, isn't it?), and if
that proves too much trouble then I'll just install OS X 10.4 and try again
with that. Years ago I ran Yellow Dog on an old Mac 8600 but I haven't
looked at it since. I'm glad it's still around. I'm more familiar with
MythTV on linux anyway so it's a good idea to try.