[mythtv-users] Thinking of switching distros - from Gentoo to Mythbuntu

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jun 27 14:48:46 UTC 2008

On 06/27/2008 09:57 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 10:31 PM, Norm Dugas wrote:
>
>> I've been running Gentoo since it pretty much came out but lately, I've
>> been thinking of switching distros.  I've run Kubuntu on one desktop for
>> quite a while and was quite impressed.  I'm thinking of switching both
>> my backend and my frontend to keep things in sync.  Besides making a
>> backup of the database, is there anything else that can come and bite me
>> in the butt?  The OS disk would get a complete reinstall and the 8 myth
>> disks would remain intact and be mounted in the same location they
>> currently are.
>>
> be forewarned that Mythbuntu is not designed for *dedicated* frontends
> as it requires you to run a window manager

You should be running a window manager on /any/ system that uses X and
windows--that includes a dedicated MythTV box that never spawns any
external GUI applications, too, as MythTV uses windows.

Note that GNOME and KDE and xfce are /not/ window managers.  They are
desktop environments (and, really, there's no need for either of them on
a dedicated MythTV frontend).  IIRC, MythBuntu is running xfce, so I'll
agree that xfce is unnecessary, though when it comes to DE's, xfce is a
/much/ lighter-weight alternative to GNOME and KDE, so it's the lesser
of 3 evils.

I'd say, though, that even worse than choosing to use GNOME/KDE is
choosing to use GNOME/KDE with Compiz as the window manager.  (I guess I
could put a "on a dedicated Myth frontend" qualifier on that statement,
but it seems correct even without. ;)

Running with just RatPoison would be about as "clean" as it gets, but
it--or other pure WM's, like Fluxbox or Blackbox or twm or FVWM--may not
provide the "Ubuntu Experience" that the MythBuntu devs are trying to
preserve.

>  and has some tie ins that
> require a keyboard/mouse be connected.

Though that shouldn't be required.  :)