[mythtv-users] Jetway JNC62K

Sarah Katherine Hayes sarah at sarahhayes.is-a-geek.net
Fri Jun 27 02:30:45 UTC 2008

It looks good, however Jetway, ECS & Foxcon boards are to be avoided
unless their is very little alternative.   I've had multiple boards from
those providers all go bang or cause some entertaining faults.  I'm not
suggesting this board is a bad un' I'm just saying that if you buy it go
in to it with eyes open; expect oddities and a fight... if you don't get
it... so much the better right? :)

Avoid SiS chipsets as well, again, the only time I've seen an APIC (40)
error in dmesg (and the box fall over after dmesg was spammed a
'zillion' times) was on this chipset with an AMD-Sempron.  Very weird
little chipset.  Works 'ok' if you fiddle with it but... weird little
chipsets ya know?

I'm not going to bash AMD or the various chipsets that support either
CPU manufacturer, but to be really honest I have had zero issues, not
drivers, not weird issues, not even the odd 'well that's too new' with
Intel chipsets.  That's admitidly on three laptops not desktops, but
hey, universal chipsets (give or take).   Curiously the only board to
come close to that level of 'just works' is a Soltek 'shuttle-esque'
machine with an old nForce 2 chipset; I couldn't tell you if this is
true of more modern nvidia boards or not though.