[mythtv-users] IR keyboards?

Raphael rpooser at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 01:59:55 UTC 2008

Kevin Kuphal wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 9:00 PM, Raphael <rpooser at gmail.com
> <mailto:rpooser at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     One thing about dumping LIRC - you can do some pretty advanced things
>     with it, and to replicate those functions using your new
>     keyboard-emulating remote it's still going to take some configuration.
>     irexec is one example; you'd need to configure some other hotkey polling
>     program to run whatever scripts you have irexec set to run now, and the
>     hotkey would have to be a single key from the keyboard (not a
>     combination like ctl+shift+<key>). Another is having the same key on
>     your remote do the same thing across programs like xine and mplayer.
>     With LIRC you needed to edit lircrc files, and with the keyboard-remote
>     you'll need to actually change the hotkeys in each program to do the
>     same thing.
>

> Very true.  I've found using the multimedia keys + fluxbox keybindings
> to launch programs works well enough for the few scripts I need to run
> (one to reset the frontend mostly).  But yes, you're stuck remapping
> keys in the various programs which not all of them support.  But with
> the improvements to the Internal player, I no longer even use xine or
> mplayer anymore for any content.
>
> Kevin

The internal player really is pretty good and all I need right now for
the most part. I use the internal for DVDs, and only one type of file my
wife is watching right now seems to need mplayer. The upside is that
mplayer launches automatically from mythvideo - I didn't even have to
configure it, except to tell it I have a 16:9 display. And since most of
the keys do the same things in mplayer as the internal player, she can't
tell the difference between mplayer and the internal player anyway. I
guess the planets have all come into alignment :)