[mythtv-users] MythTV, phpMyAdmin and German umlauts

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Jun 26 22:42:04 UTC 2008

On Jun 26, 2008, at 3:24 PM, Torsten Crass wrote:

> Hi Brad,
>
>> Secondly, don't edit those fields with phpMyAdmin. :)
>
> normally, I'm using mythfrontend or the mysql shell wherever
> possible to
> edit recordings data. Since German TV stations, however, seem to be
> incapable of consistently delivering data such as title, subtitle and
> description for their programmes, I frequently need to exchange large
> blocks of text between those fields (or even write up something),
> which
> is definitely more conveniently achieved using a GUI like phpMyAdmin.

Having it break is more convenient than having it work correctly from
the mysql cli or the frontend? I would have thought the opposite.

>> Make sure phpMyAdmin is using the same character set as your
>> database.
>> There is a global setting for this.
>
> I've been looking for something like this before, but the only thing I
> found was an option to set the "MySQL connection collation" right on
> the
> phpMyAdmin entry page -- but changing that to, say: utf8, didn't make
> any difference. So have I been blind, not finding the global setting
> you're talking about?

It's one of the $cfg[] options. You should check the phpMyAdmin docs
since it's describes more than you want to know about character sets
and how to change them. Basically, I think the problem is a
combination of the fact that your browser thinks it's using one
character set, PHP is using possibly another, MySQL is possibly using
another and Myth is possibly using another, but has been coded to use
the mismatched default character set in MySQL to avoid problems that
occur when trying to support multiple MySQL character sets for
different areas of the world.

Lastly, don't edit those fields in phpMyAdmin.

-Brad