[mythtv-users] installing on window xp system

Mitch Gore mitchell.gore at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 03:30:41 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 10:22 PM, C E <list.spiritssight at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to install the OS on a windows system, I don't mind if i
> have to shink the size of the partiion for windows as long as I don't
> lost any thing I do how on it which is not that much but I don't want
> to have to go though the trouble of doing it all again as I did this
> about 2 weeks ago becaouse of a issue it was having, any how I would
> like to test this better and seeing the live cd is working nice it
> should do the install as good right?
>
> Thanks ahead of time
>
> Sincerely,
> Christopher

Your English is difficult to understand.  Are you saying you have a windows
PC that you would like to test MythTV with by installing Linux as a dual
boot?

If so, you can use a Gparted LiveCD to shrink your windows install then
install your distro of choice and GRUB should detect your windows partition
on install.  Also, I assume this is a test box as a MythTV box really should
be powered on all the times to get recordings.

Not sure what your skills are on Myth/Linux but the prebuilt packages are
much simplier to setup, such as MythBuntu, Mythdora, etc.  BUT these disks
usally wipe the drive clean, including your Windows install, so avoid those
and built from a basic distro.

Mitchell