[mythtv-users] IR keyboards?

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 16:47:40 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 10:39 AM, Alen Edwards <
allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com> wrote:

> Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>
>   On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 10:28 AM, Phil Bridges <gravityhammer at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I've seen some people here that use IR keyboards for their remote (or
>> program a universal remote with their IR keyboard), relieveing
>> themselves of the need to use LIRC.  I thought I'd settled down on an
>> Adesso IR keyboard/receiver combo, but it appears that it doesn't play
>> well with learning remotes.
>>
>> If you are using an IR keyboard, what model are you using?
>

> This one:
> http://www.pctekonline.com/skcomwirkeyw.html
>
> How-to:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Programming_Remotes_as_Keyboards
>
> Kevin

> I just ordered this keyboard per your recommendation.   Be aware that they
> charge $12 for shipping -- kind of high imo.  In any event, I am planning on
> just pointing the thing at my MX-500 learning remote that I use to control
> my system.  I like the idea of having a keyboard to do web surfing as well
> as bypassing LIRC.

Yeah, when I ordered mine it was from Newegg.  Much more reasonable on the
shipping but no one else seems to sell them now.

> Any reason why that would not work?

It should.  I actually learned one or two buttons from the keyboard to the
remote at one time instead of JP1 and it worked.

Kevin