[mythtv-users] Using spindown with SCSI RAID5?

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Wed Jun 25 03:46:41 UTC 2008

Anyone out there had any success with spinning down SCSI disks in a
software RAID5 array for power saving?

I tried to spin down one of my 4 disks in a RAID5 array, using the command:

sdparm --command=stop /dev/sdi

This spun the drive down (good), but it also kicked it out of the array.
  (bad)

What I'm trying to do is just have it power down somehow after a certain
time being idle, and then just spin up again when accessed without
breaking the  but it seems that SCSI drives don't have all the power
management options that PATA or SATA drives do.  (Or maybe just my
particular SCSI drives don't have these features...)

I'd love to hear from anyone with specific experience with trying to do
this with SCSI drives - thanks.