[mythtv-users] Processor Minimum Specs

John Williams williamsbyron at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 13:18:59 UTC 2008

I'm sorry to be asking this on the list since I'm sure it is somewhere, but
the docs and other places I could find seemed very out of date. The wiki,
was not very specific and I know these things change over time. I finally
broke down and bought an HDTV. I have a Toshiba 42 42RV530U. It does 1080p
and has 4 HDMI inputs. I'd now like to get a system that can record the HD I
have and play back to the HDMI on the TV.

Obviously I need a HD tuner. It seems like the HDHomerun is the prefered
method around here.

What I can't nail down is the processor needed to be able to do this without
XvMC. I plan on buying processor, 2Gb RAM, Video card, PSU, Motherboard. Any
recommendations would be great.

I will use the CPU cost to set the budget for the rest of the system or to
rule it out all together, so CPU is my big concern. Can you help me out by
telling me the best cost CPU that will run a Full FE/BE system with all it's
demands (transcoding recording 2 channels and playback)?

Thanks,
Byron Williams

--
I have plenty of Gmail invites. Ask me if you'd like one. G Mail rocks for
email lists.