[mythtv-users] IR blaster problems

Ray Whiteman ray.whiteman at consultant.com
Mon Jun 23 22:29:35 UTC 2008

Tony Brummett wrote:
> On 6/23/08, Ray Whiteman <ray.whiteman at consultant.com> wrote:
>
>> Just a suggestion, which port on the MCE receiver are you using?
>>

> I've tried both ports.  I've also tried another IR emitter (the
> dual-ended one that came with my Tivo years ago), and it doesn't work
> either.
>

>>  I recall that only one of the ports is coded to work properly, pretty sure
>>  it is port # 1. At least in the version of LIRC I have that is the way
>>  it is.
>>

> irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 and SET_TRANSMITTERS 2 both run without
> generating any error messages.  Any other number (0,3,4 ,etc) and it
> will complain.
>

>> Do you have your lircd.conf configured properly with the codes you want
>> to send? Essentially you should have two remote definitions, one for the
>> receiver and one for the blaster.
>>

> My lircd.conf is pretty simple.  I downloaded the config for the
> Motorola VIP 1200 box from lirc.org, and that's the only remote
> defined in it.  The only change I've made is to replace the words like
> "ONE" for the numeral "1".  Like I said, I can fire up irw, point the
> real Motorola remote at the receiver and it detects the button presses
> properly, so I know at least the receiver portion of the box is
> working.
>
> When this is all working properly, the IR receiver box is going to get
> hooked up to the backend that's stuck down in the basement, and I only
> need the blaster(s) to work.  That's why there's only 1 remote in the
> lircd.conf file.
>

>> Feel free to post your lircd.conf and your channel change script if you
>> like, and I will compare to mine....
>>

> At the moment, I'm not using any channel changing script; I'm just
> using irsend at the command line to try to get the STB to do
> something, anything.  Here's the gist of what I've tried:
>
> irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1
> irsend SEND_ONCE Motorola_VIP_1200 INFO
>
> or
>
> irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 2
> irsend SEND_ONCE Motorola_VIP_1200 2
> irsend SEND_ONCE Motorola_VIP_1200 5
> irsend SEND_ONCE Motorola_VIP_1200 1
>
> I know that in a channel changing script, there should be some sleep
> time between sending buttons, but I can't type that fast at the
> command line.  I've also tried all the combinations for
> SET_TRANSMITTERS: 1, 2, 1 2, 2 1.

Well, you've certainly tried everything I would try, I'm out of simple
suggestions. :(

One thing I would point out is that I don't need to perform
set_transmitters...... Not sure if this makes any difference. The only
other question I have is, do you have the correct lirc device? Are there
more than one by any chance?

FYI: I have attached my channel changer script, I get 99.9% correct
channel changes with this.

#!/bin/bash
REMOTE_NAME=SKY
for digit in $(echo $1 | sed -e 's/./& /g'); do
irsend SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME $digit
sleep 1.0 # note, you may have to tweak the interdigit delay up a bit
done