[mythtv-users] udev and DVB-T devices

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at computer.org
Mon Jun 23 17:42:40 UTC 2008

Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> I wanted to stop the cx88_dvb and x88xx modules loading altogether so I
> added:
>
>   blacklist cx88_dvb
>   blacklist cx88xx
>
> to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
>
> however they still loaded after a reboot.

If you're using an initrd image, then your problem may be that it still
contains those modules and loads them early during the boot process.

First check whether you are using an initrd image:

root at fe2:~# cat /proc/cmdline
root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=192.168.1.11:/raid5/nobackup/fe2root
initrd=/initrd.img-2.6.22-15-generic.fe2 ip=dhcp ro quiet splash
acpi=force ide0=ata66 BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-2.6.22-15-generic

If it says the initrd thing in there, then you are.

So then the question is how you exclude the unwanted modules from your
initrd image (which in my example above is
/boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-15-generic.fe2)

On my Ubuntu system, I do that simply by issuing the following command:

root at fe2:~# update-initramfs -u
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-15-generic

This script is a wrapper around mkinitramfs, so use that if you haven't
got the script.

HTH, Jan