[mythtv-users] Clean OS procedure

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 23:18:47 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Damian <damian at gingermagic.co.uk> wrote:
> Andrew Close wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 3:27 AM, Damian <damian at gingermagic.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> My new hardware will be arriving in a couple of days so I want to plan
>>> how to set everything back up as painlessly as possible. Here's my plan
>>> at the moment, let me know if I'm missing anything ...
>>>
>>> - Back up database
>>>    I think there's an option in the Mythbuntu Control centre to do this (?)
>>> - Back up relevant 'home' bits
>>>    Lirc config file
>>>    Perviously working xorg.conf file
>>> - Install Ubuntu, 64bit version
>>>    I'll clean out the root and home partition, but keep the partition
>>> with recordings in tact
>>> - Add Mythbuntu
>>> - Run setup to configure capture cards etc
>>> - Tell myth where recordings and videos are
>>>    I don't use default locations
>>>    Can't remember where the bit to tell Myth these things is, but I'm
>>> sure I'll find it
>>> - Restore Database
>>>    I saw a few lines on how to do this on a Mythbuntu wiki page I think
>>
>> potential option - install the OS/Myth on a fresh drive and use your
>> previous drives solely for storage.  although this adds one more
>> component that you'd have to order/wait for/pay for ;)
>
> Yea, I considered this, but finances didn't allow it.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion
> Damian

FWIW knoppmyth backs up the database and the following directories/files:

/etc
/home
/root
/var/www/mythweb/.htaccess

In addition you might like to consider:

1. a list of the apps you have installed on top of the base distro install.

2. any programs or scripts you have installed manually (I often pick
up scripts that have been mentioned on this list and then forget them
at update time. I should discipline muyself to put them  in one place,
say /usr/local/bin , and back that up.