[mythtv-users] IR blaster problems

John H arizonamythtv at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 18:34:12 UTC 2008

I just got this MCE remote:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880121002&Tpk=80-121-002
and I'm having problems getting the IR blaster to do anything, though
irsend runs without complaining.

The receiver part works without a hitch. I've gotten an lirc
configuration file for the remote I'm attempting to blast, and irw
correctly prints out the button presses when I point the real remote
at the receiver. I've tried both the lirc package that comes with
Ubuntu 7.10, and a freshly compiled lirc 0.8.3 with the lirc_mceusb2
driver enabled and loaded.

One promising sign is that when I plug the USB cable in to the
receiver, the IR blaster blinks red once, less than a second
afterward.

Are there any other details I might be missing?

Is the Blaster not sending a signal or is the problem that the Blaster
isn't changing the channel for you? You can check the signal by using
a digital camera. Turn off all lights and then turn the camera on and
hold the blaster to the lense and look through the camera viewer and
then use irsend. The camera is sensitive to IR so you should see it
light up. If this works, then I suspect the lirc for the remote you're
trying to blast is wrong.