[mythtv-users] Odd lirc behavior when using plasma display vs. CRT display

Larry K lunchtimelarry at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 01:38:05 UTC 2008

I have a FE running myth 0.20 on FC8 that has been happily working over
S-Video to a 27" Panasonic CRT TV.  Recently, I bought a new Panasonic 50"
plasma, so my intent is to connect this display using DVI-HDMI, rather than
S-Video, for obvious reasons.

Anyway, since I have not yet configured xorg.conf for DFP output, I simply
plugged the S-Video cable into the new plasma as an interim measure.  When I
did this, lirc started behaving oddly.  It basically does not respond to my
remote, and when I run irw to test it out, it very rarely (if ever) picks up
the command.  If I simply unplug the S-Video cable from the plasma and put
it back on the old 27" CRT, everything returns to normal.  Here, irw echos
each and every command flawlessly.  Mythtv responds flawlessly to my remote
control as well.

What in the world could be causing this odd behavior?  Why would the display
device affect lirc like this?  What can I do to correct this?  Oh.  I am
running lirc from a serial port if that matters.

Larry