[mythtv-users] The purpose of a Secondary Backend is...

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Jun 20 15:47:01 UTC 2008

On Jun 20, 2008, at 3:34 AM, Phil Bridges wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 11:05 PM, Michael T. Dean
> <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>
>> And, for those who haven't yet figured out how to use MythTV (or any
>> DVR, for that matter), if each frontend is also a backend, having
>> those
>> multiple backends allows LiveTV to be captured with a local capture
>> card
>> (i.e. reducing network requirements), assuming it's not currently
>> busy
>> recording a scheduled recording.
>
> Or, for those that *have* figured out how to use MythTV (not any DVR,
> for that matter), and use it to share LiveTV from 2 cable boxes to
> five TVs in their house (assuming they aren't currently busy recording
> a scheduled recording).
>
> Your contempt for people that actually use LiveTV is disturbing.  Just
> because people use it for functionality that you can't doesn't make it
> the "wrong" way to use the software.

I never considered LiveTV as a viable way of watching TV until my
roommate came home from the hospital. I set up a frontend in a private
room for him to relax and discovered that he just wanted to watch Food
Network all day long. So I guess LiveTV makes sense for people who
watch TV mostly to kill time. He doesn't even mind commercials - just
considers it part of the TV viewing experience.