[mythtv-users] The purpose of a Secondary Backend is... (is this really OT? I'm not sure)

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Fri Jun 20 13:33:07 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 09:01 -0400, Sam Hooker wrote:

> One caveat: although Heartbeat/DRBD works remarkably well for Apache and
> BIND, I can't say I've implemented it for MySQL yet

Heartbeat/DRBD may be overkill for this application, but I can say that
I have used it to replicate MySQL databases, even those that get pounded
heavily, and it works well. Never had a problem, done lots of failover
tests.

One caveat though: if the secondary peer is disconnected long enough,
the primary will run out of auxiliary storage and it will then be
necessary to sync the entire partition when the secondary is
reconnected. My most recent experience with this was a 70GB partition
that literally took all day to sync over a GigE link. For this reason, I
have my doubts that this use of heartbeat/DRBD is a good one.

--Greg