[mythtv-users] The purpose of a Secondary Backend is...

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Jun 20 04:32:14 UTC 2008

On Jun 19, 2008, at 9:26 PM, Scott Harris wrote:

> glenhawk at optusnet.com.au wrote:
>> ...well I thought I knew but now I'm not sure. Is there any
>> documentation somewhere discussing the virtues of Secondary Backends?
>>
>> I figured that a Secondary Backend was there to take some load off
>> the Master but other that additional recordings I wasn't sure what
>> they were for. I have found since that it is possible to run the
>> database on a Secondary Backend but other than that...?
>>
>> I was interested to know if a Secondary Backend could run
>> independently from the Master. EG, can you switch on the Secondary
>> to watch something it recorded without having to have the Master on?
>> I think I have found that you can't do that, it needs to see the
>> database to be able to run, is that correct?
>>
>> OFF TOPIC
>> If so, that is a shame because I was hoping I could create a
>> portable PC that I could lug around to other peoples places or
>> functions to watch recorded TV (sporting events, movies, etc). If
>> it was easier to export recorded TV to AVI then I'd probably just
>> do that but HDTV is just so pretty ;-)
>>

> Everyone else has given excellent technical reasons (off loading,
> various spare hardware, network/storage issues), but here is a not
> so technical real world reason:  I use satellite.  That would mean
> running 4 wires into my living room to accommodate 4 different tuners.
> Running wires in the house is a major PITA.  I have two wires where
> I need them already.  I set up a slave backend in another room also
> with two connections and I'm off and running!
> Scott

I have a similar story. I used to have a backend in my basement so I
wouldn't have to hear a machine running 24 hours a day. Then when I
got OTA high-def happening, I couldn't put the antenna(s) in the
basement, so I set up a slave in the livingroom to capture high-def.
This also had the advantage of recording and playing back high-def in
the livingroom and recording the (much more frequent) standard def
stuff in the basement.