[mythtv-users] Nokia N800 (was Re: Comcast to drop analog cable

Gary Dawes gary.dawes at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 21:08:02 UTC 2008

2008/6/19 Peter VanDerWal <peter at vanderwal.us>:

> >> Not yet.  Someone's reportedly porting the frontend; I'm waiting to see
> >> how that comes out.
> >>
> >> If you share out your recordings directory in a fashion that the 800
> >> can see, you can likely use Mplayer (which *is* working nicely there)
> >> to play stuff, at least as long as the codec is supported -- I think
> >> Mplayer knows "real" NUV, and it certainly does MPEG2.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> -- jra
> >

> > Does the N800 have the chops to play  SD mpeg2?  Its only got a 400MHz
> ARM
> > in
> > there...
> >

> I haven't downloaded the 2008OS yet, but IIRC the previous MPlayer only
> worked if the video had the right resolution.
> I think it would have to be transcoded to fit the N800 screen.  Even if
> the new Mplayer doesn't require that, it would certainly be faster if it
> didn'thave to rescale the video.
>
> I'll have to look into this when I get some free time.

Been there, done that. I had a load of fun installing myth on my N800 (I'm
NOT the porter though). Works great on recordings transcoded down in
resolution and bitrate using either mpeg2 or xvid. It will also stream live
TV from my pvr150 as along as the recording parameters are set correctly.

I have three dvb-t usb sticks (freeview as I'm in UK), and the tablet just
chokes completly on those recordings as they are just streamed straight from
the card to disk. NO plugins are working, at least for me. video looks like
it was compiled but just rebooted my tablet, but all the TV bit of the
frontend worked great.

OInly issue for me was that it corrupted my display so that no borders or
scrollbars were visible, which made the N800 pretty unusable for me, I have
now fallen back to using mediaserv to transcode on the fly and stream to the
tablet.

I'm really hopeful that we will see some more progress on this as I think it
has loads of potential, unfortunately the only skill I can offer is as a
guineapig!!

Gary