[mythtv-users] ticket locking

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 14:17:14 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 10:02 AM, Udo van den Heuvel <udovdh at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Andrew Williams wrote:
>> 2008/6/18 Udo van den Heuvel <udovdh at xs4all.nl>:
>> I'm not sure if you understand what valgrind does, nor do you
>> understand how large the mythtv codebase is.
>
> Pinpoint possible errorprone code.
> The size of the codebase was not under my direct influence.

Nearly impossible to do with this size of a program and no starting
place to look.

>> You say that, but alot of variables go into a working system
>
> Depending on how you set it up.
> ANd I said I could provide info on how I did set it up.
>
>> Hardware: exact make, models, bios revisions, card details, card versions, etc.
>> OS: Distro, library versions, stock or distro patched versions
>> MythTv: plugins, compile time options, optimization flags (if on a
>> source distro).
>
> Sure. If you want to go that way you can have it all.
>
>> Any of these could cause the problem, replicating a system isn't as
>> easy as you make out.
>
> Is the code, the compiler, etc so flaky?

None of the above. You are presenting a problem that affects very few
users. So the goal to replicate the problem would be for a developer
to try to clone your conditions as much as possible to possibly be
able to expose this very rare bug,

John