[mythtv-users] good capture card?

Craig Whitmore lennon at orcon.net.nz
Thu Jun 19 04:42:30 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 22:36 -0500, Depo Catcher wrote:
> Top posting?
> I talked to the Best buy guy, he said suggested a few cards and said
> they would work with any cable provider.  But said they would only
> work in Windows.  Why does linux have all these different formats and
> encryption?  My friend has an apple and he just plugged the cable in
> and it worked.  I want a card just like that, but works in
> Linux/MythTV.

There are many different ways you can broadcast TV..

So it depends on what the source of your TV signal is? From your Comment
your Source is Cable TV maybe? So you will need probably need a DVB-C
Card. Also is the Source encryted or "FTA" (free to air). If Encrypted
you will need a CI/Cam to put your access card into it. (if its

Then you have to find which hardware is supported under linux. (look on

If you can give more information like who your provider is for TV /where
you are etc etc people might be able to help you more.