[mythtv-users] mythweb and the Nokia N95

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Wed Jun 18 23:08:53 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 18 June 2008 23:51:57 Xavier Hervy wrote:
> Bert Haverkamp wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Unfortunately, no response so far from other N95 users. But is there
> > anyone who has succesfully streamed to any other mobile phone from
> > mythweb?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Bert
> >
> I just had a look to the flashplayer in mythweb.
> I believe it doesn't work because use flv format over http when youtube
> use 3gp over rtsp.
> Xavier

That's most likely correct. Most mobiles will only play 3gp format files (some will play m4v too), and many will only support rtsp for streaming. I think what youtube do for mobile content is transcode to H.263 with AMR audio in a 3gp container (quite possibly on-the-fly), though I'd be very pleased to be proven wrong on that count. Perhaps someone with an iPhone would know?

Most mobiles are pretty fussy about what they will play, though the N95 is far less fussy than most. I've seen some that will only play a file that's 15fps for instance. You could try transcoding to QVGA (320x240), H.263 with AMR-NB audio and try streaming that - that type of file will play on almost anything (hell my Motorola Slivr will play that, and that's a *rubbish* phone if ever there was one), and then you'd be able to narrow it down to the file format or the streaming protocol.

Mark