[mythtv-users] ticket locking

Remco Treffkorn remco at rvt.com
Wed Jun 18 18:24:00 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 18 June 2008, Brad DerManouelian wrote:

> >> Congrats.
> >>
> >> You admit believe that your problem is a special case yet you
> >> refuse to
> >
> > refuse?
> > can't/don't know/etc.
> > Don't make me appear as unwilling to assist insolving a case.
>
> You said you won't load valgrind. Now you'll have to wait until
> someone else reproduces your situation WITH valgrind in order to give
> the devs something to start with.
>
> > Also I was believing that MythTV was designed to (also) record TV.
> > Over here it does so, 24/7 for 3 channels using 7 virtual tuners on
> > one
> > real card.
> > Because recording is all it does and because recording is the main
> > feature of MythTV it was strange to see it grow this big. This should
> > have been notice before by someone else!?
>
> You're the first. If you can't provide the devs with the information
> they request, you have to wait patiently until someone else runs
> across the problem and can provide the information required to
> investigate.
>
> If this were a corporate software company, the Quality Assurance team
> would replicate your environment as closely as possible and run
> valgrind to see where the memory leak is. This is open source. There
> is no QA department. We are all QA and you're the only one with your
> environment that is causing the issue.

Sorry dude!

A bug report of any kind is information. As it ages its significance declines
if no data is added. Eventually it can fade away...

The open source development model is not different from closed source in the
handling of bugs. If the "customer" reports a bug, but can not provide
detail, the report stays active till dis-prooven or it dies of old age.

A statement like  "There is no QA. We are all QA..."  is confusing to me.

And "you're the only one with your environment that is causing the issue"
sounds a lot like blaming the user.

I maintain both o/s and commercial s/w. I treat all my "customers" the same.
They help me make my s/w better. Every bug report helps me. If I can not get
enough information from the user, I say "Thank you" and let the bug stand
till somebody else provides input, or it ages...

This is the only "users" list I am subscribed to, but it really upsets me more
than all the dev lists together.

--
Remco Treffkorn (RT445)
HAM DC2XT