[mythtv-users] Easy way to move recordings to another machine?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jun 18 02:07:13 UTC 2008

On 06/17/2008 08:16 PM, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> Carl Fongheiser says:
>
>> Actually, it's something that 1 storage group can rectify.  If you
>> have both master and slave directories in the default storage group
>> on both backends, it'll all work without a hitch.
>>
> I didn't realize this until recently. That is, I've always had all my
> recording directories mounted on the same paths on all my backend
> machines, but I didn't realize that I had to create a Default storage
> group that includes all the directories on each backend machine in
> order for any backend to be able to store to any directory as
> needed. I'd previously had a Default storage group on the master
> backend only, which the documentation (if I didn't misread it)
> indicated/indicates is sufficient for achieving the above.

The docs are right.  You only need to "override" the master-backend's
list of directories for a storage group if a slave does not have access
to all the directories the master has (i.e. if you have separate and
/not shared/ filesystems).

So, for you, simply mount your filesystems in the same location on
master and slave backends and put the directory names that are within
all those filesystems into the master backend's Default storage group.
(I'm saying, "that are within," because you shouldn't put the mount
point directory name into a storage group--
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/317235#317235 ).

I.e.:

On the master:
mount point: /myth/master_filesystem (local)
mount point: /myth/slave_filesystem (an NFS/CIFS mount)

On the slave:
mount point: /myth/master_filesystem (an NFS/CIFS mount)
mount point: /myth/slave_filesystem (local)

And, in the master backend's Default storage group:
/myth/master_filesystem/recordings
/myth/slave_filesystem/recording

(so Myth isn't writing to a mount point, which would be disastrous in
the event you lose a mount--i.e. when network goes down temporarily or
whatever).

And don't define any Default storage group on any other host (because
it's identical on all hosts).

Mike