[mythtv-users] Comcast to drop analog cable

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jun 17 20:11:58 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 17 June 2008 13:33:14 David Brodbeck wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
> > It's no different from the "unlimited" local telephone service, where the
> > occasional user pays the same as the telemarketing center.
>
> Although that may not be a good analogy.  I think businesses usually pay
> per call for local calls.  It's only residential lines that get that
> service for free.  I know at one place I worked I was told each local
> call cost the company 10 cents.

Depends on where you are. In NYC you can't get unlimited residential service,
and local calls are in fact the same 10 cents you mentioned.

Here in Wyoming both residential and business customers can get unlimited
calls (though business customers pay more for it).

When I lived in NJ and had an ISDN line "unlimited" service on both B channels
was very expensive, you would have had to use it several hundred hours a
month to make it worth the cost.

But my point was that any time something is sold on an "unlimited" basis some
customers will benefit more than others from the rate structure.

ISPs have been notorious for selling "unlimited" service that isn't. I pay for
a business account in order to get faster outbound service and no blocking of
port 25, also to allow me to run servers (prohibited by most residential ISP
agreements). I have been told that I can use my full bandwidth 24/7 and my
ISP doesn't care, because that's what I pay for.

beww