[mythtv-users] Comcast to drop analog cable

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Tue Jun 17 19:53:03 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 12:33 -0700, David Brodbeck wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
> > It's no different from the "unlimited" local telephone service, where the
> > occasional user pays the same as the telemarketing center.
>
> Although that may not be a good analogy.  I think businesses usually pay
> per call for local calls.  It's only residential lines that get that
> service for free.  I know at one place I worked I was told each local
> call cost the company 10 cents.

Not where I work. We get unlimited local calls and have the area plus or
whatever BellSouth^H^H AT&T calls it this week. Our "local, unlimited"
area covers a good chunk of the state.

It is the same thing as ISP companies back in the dial-up days. We used
to have 1 modem for every 20 customers. You had some customers who would
stay on for days on end and others who might connect for only an hour a
week. You just had to balance the need for a profit against your revenue
against your expenses. Same way just about any business works. The
telcos are just greedy bastards trying to get extra money from their
customers.