[mythtv-users] Comcast to drop analog cable

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jun 17 17:51:30 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 17 June 2008 11:42:29 David Brodbeck wrote:

> Given that some ISPs are now shifting away from the unlimited access
> model, I'm not sure downloadable HDTV content is going to remain an
> attractive proposition.  The service model Time Warner is testing in
> Texas charges $1/gigabyte for overages, which makes sending a DVD
> through the mail look relatively cheap.

"Overage" from what? IOW what's the basic allowance that you get charged or
going "over".

A friend of mine recently ran into an unmentioned limit. His ISP froze his
account until the next month because he had gone "over" a limit that was not
mentioned in the customer contract, which stated "unlimited connection".

If they could have some sort of limited account for users that really don't
move that much data to save them money that might be OK, but I suspect it's
just a way to get more money from "normal" level users.

Web sites that like to send huge amounts of graphical data might have
problems, folks might avoid those sites because they might wind up costing
the user.

But residential users receiving many many GB are probably grabbing media
files, do you think the ISPs will start categorizing what type of data you
are receiving?

beww