[mythtv-users] via m10000

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Tue Jun 17 14:35:32 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 17 June 2008 14:40:44 Kevin Robbins wrote:
> Hey list,  I have recently purchased 2 Epia-m 10000 boards and am determined
> to get them up and running as front ends. I have nbeen playing with one for
> 4 days now and I still can't seem to figure out why it has skippy (stalling
> briefly) playback during liveTv and recordings. Video playback works fine.
>
> I am using the unichrome drivers right now which I think  were a little
> improvement over the open chrome drivers that were selected by default. The
> best improvement was made by switching the playback options to normal and
> choosing via Xvmc for all the choices. So far this has all been trial and
> error for me. I've googled so much all the sites are visited but I still
> can't find an actual recommended setting for the m10000.
>
> There has to be some just plain straight forward perfect setting for this
> motherboard/graphics, it seems to be widely used. If someone could lend a
> hand I promise to make a detailed wiki on what I learn.

I'm not familair with the board but the title suggests it's a VIA motherboard? VIA boards are not without their problems in terms of performance and there's very little you can do about it; VIA stuff is just generally low performance. I'm using one right now and it sucks.. live TV was very skippy. However I did come across one useful trick - this only works because I'm using a normal CRT TV, but I switched off deinterlacing in the playback options, and CPU usage went down from 75% to 20%.

Mark