[mythtv-users] Multiple DVB Tuners and udev question

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 12:05:25 UTC 2008

On 17/06/2008, Lindsay Mathieson <lindsay.mathieson at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> I have a dual USB DVB-T Tuner (LifeView) and a PCI DVB-T Tuner (Winfast).
>
> Given that they're all DVB-T tuning off the same signal for the same set
> of channels (FTA in Australia) does it matter if the device assignment
> shifts around after boot? I still have /dev/dvb/adaptor0 -
> /dev/dvb/adaptor2 no matter what.
>
> So hopefully I don't have to bother with udev rules?

Reasons for controlling the device order would be if the cards had.

1) Different channel sources
2) Different device drivers
3) Periphal attachments (such as an IR receiver) on one of the cards.
4) Different performance (so use the lowest quality card last)

You've said (1) doesn't apply to you;  (4) generally isn't an issue
for DVB (they either work or they dont'); (3) only you know; leaving
(2):

I don't know if your two cards need different kernel modules loaded,
but sometimes these need to be loaded in the correct order, to play
nicely.  I guess suck it and see.

AFAIK you should be fine.

The only real need would be if you were using an IR receiver (for a
frontend) plugged into one of the cards, like I have into one of my
Nova