[mythtv-users] Comcast to drop analog cable

Raphael rpooser at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 01:25:33 UTC 2008

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 06/16/2008 09:31 AM, Tom Dexter wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 5:01 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>> Or more people need to vote with their wallets and cancel their cable
>>> subscriptions, get an antenna, and show the cable co's how serious they
>>> are about unencrypted TV.
>> Yup...and every time my cable company calls asking why I only have
>> their internet service I tell them all about it.  IR
>> blasters...firewire out...all that BS...you can keep it.
>>
>> I know OTA isn't an option for some,
>
> For those who feel that's the case, I /highly/ recommend trying out OTA
> HDTV.  I could not (and still cannot) receive a single local analog
> channel OTA even with my very nice (and very big) antenna mounted nice
> and high (and in Florida where there's no such thing as hills).  However
> /every/ single HDTV station in the area comes in with a very good
> signal.  This is the beauty of the digital cliff--broadcasters no longer
> have the "class-B reception" cop out.

Ditto for me. I can't see analog reception in any form even remotely
close to viewable. There's no sound either, just simply static. Yet
pretty much all of the same channels come through fine digitally.
However, for people 50 miles or more from the broadcasting stations,
this probably won't help. ATSC HD looks a million times better than the
highly compressed video comcast calls digital here too.