[mythtv-users] Comcast to drop analog cable

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 01:19:57 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 7:04 AM, Mark Covington <markcov at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well this could be excessively annoying.
> http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/2008-06-12-cable-digital_N.htm
> http://blogs.chron.com/techblog/archives/2008/06/got_expanded_analog_cable_from_comcast_not_fo_1.html
>
> Comcast plans to drop all analog service by 2010 and other cable providers
> are expected to follow depending on how successful Comcast is.  Between
> Comcast's move to switched digital video and dropping analog service its
> going to be harder and harder to keep running a Mythtv box.
>
> It looks like a firewire connection out of a set-top-box might be the only
> route in the future unless some other options start appearing.  What are
> y'alls thoughts?
>
> Mark

My general thoughts are that by 2010 I'll get most of my media over
some sort of tcpip connection and not really care about this. With
NetFlix providing more than enough media to keep me busy via their
Watch Instantly service they're just the first example of how I expect
to see most everything. There's already media being done for the web.
The networks will figure out how to deliver info directly or other
news organizations will appear at net broadcasters. I'm not going to
pay Comcast for all the media I'd like to watch - the networks, HBO,
Showtime, etc., so I'm already watching the bulk of it time shifted
anyway. As net broadcasting becomes more prevelent it will only become
easier, not harder, I think, to get what I want when I want it. Think
youTube in real time.

Just my general thoughts about why I don't really care 2-3 years from
now, but only time will tell.

- Mark