[mythtv-users] Comcast to drop analog cable

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Sun Jun 15 15:32:29 UTC 2008

On Sunday 15 June 2008 16:06:45 Brian Wood wrote:
> On Sunday 15 June 2008 08:04:49 Mark Covington wrote:
> > Well this could be excessively annoying.
> > http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/2008-06-12-cable-digital_N.htm
> > http://blogs.chron.com/techblog/archives/2008/06/got_expanded_analog_cable_
> >from_comcast_not_fo_1.html
> >
> > Comcast plans to drop all analog service by 2010 and other cable providers
> > are expected to follow depending on how successful Comcast is.  Between
> > Comcast's move to switched digital video and dropping analog service its
> > going to be harder and harder to keep running a Mythtv box.
> >
> > It looks like a firewire connection out of a set-top-box might be the only
> > route in the future unless some other options start appearing.  What are
> > y'alls thoughts?
>
> The trend towards HD and digital is pretty much inevitable. The cable
> companies want to go digital to increase carrying capacity, which makes
> sense. They also like the subs needing to have an STB both for revenue and
> for "control". The cable companies don't really care about "control" but
> their program suppliers do, and they will coerce the cable companies into
> such efforts.
>
> So we'll have to get used to STBs and satellite receivers, but we've been
> dealing with them for a while. I suspect STBs and sat rcvrs will have analog
> outputs for a while, the cable companies are already touting "any TV
> connected to cable will continue to work".
>
> Analog component outputs will probably be around for a while, one reason I
> bought a 1212. There are a lot of component-input only HD sets out there.
>
> The "worst case" for might be everything going to HDMI, but I'm sure an answer
> will become available, Myth will deal with it. The Myth devs and users will
> triumph over the dark forces of Hollywood and the evil cable companies
> because our motives are golden and out hearts are pure.
>
> beww

Although the cable networks in the US operate very differently, here in the UK our satellite and cable has been almost exclusively digital for some time, and are not accessible without a STB - but my cable box still has a SCART connector (otherwise known as Euro-AV - in other words an analogue output). I can't see the networks insisting that you purchase a new tv just because they've decided to go digital. They'll give you a STB with analogue outputs. In fact, over here, STBs with digital outputs are still a pretty rare animal.

Mark