[mythtv-users] HDMI Audio out on MSI Meda Live

GyroTech gyrotech at freakinabox.com
Sun Jun 15 09:26:33 UTC 2008

Bill Williamson wrote:
> An easy one is "do you get sound when you log in."  If not, it's an
> underlying ubuntu problem.  The most common digital output problem is
> that the digital-output mixer is (sometimes, I can't figure out when
> or when not) muted by default.  Go into alsa-mixer (or the volume
> control in ubunt, you'll need to go into advanced options and enable
> EVERYTHING to get the checkbox) and make sure digital out is not
> muted.

Been playing around a bit more this weekend (aren't weekends great :-) )
and it seems that audio out works fine on all of the analog outputs but
none of the digital. This is true when just playing a file with Mplayer
on the Mythbuntu desktop. The coaxial output gives me nothing when
connected to my digital amp, and the optical output isn't even lit.

Interestingly enough though, when running ALSAmixer, I don't get any
control over the volume bar for IEC958, if that is the digital out then
maybe it is still disabled somewhere...
So I run aplay -L and interestingly enough,

iec958:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
     HDA NVidia, ALC883 Digital
     IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
null

So how the heck is that happening and, more importantly, how do I make
it stop?? Or start as the case may be  :-D

GT