[mythtv-users] Digital Signal seems to weaken sometimes

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 13:04:24 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 9:09 PM, Lindsay Mathieson
<lindsay.mathieson at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Could there be a electrical device
> nearby starting up - AirCon/Heating, Microwave etc?

Narrowed the problem down to a single power adapter.  It seems that
whenever the AOpen miniPC frontend in one of the rooms was turned on,
it would cause the TV signal to weaken on that TV and around the
house, but particularly on the digital tuner cards in my backend.

All the cables on the TV and frontend had been zippy tied together so
I disconnected them all and that has certainly stopped the
interference from being so great that the tuner cards couldn't record.
 I have noticed though that whenever the transformer for the miniPC is
plugged in and turned on it causes some noticeable interference on
that one TV.  The level of interference changes as I move the power
cable for the adapter around the power and ariel cable for the TV.  I
have an identical adapter for another miniPC and that has the same
effect, but on that one TV only.  Similar adapters for different
laptops do not have the same effect on that TV.

The miniPCs were purchased from the US, but they are rated for
Australian use.  The are marked as 'Replacement Adapters' and don't
have any other branding on them.

Does anyone have any ideas why these particular adapters are affecting
just this one TV?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Kind Regards,
Whytey