[mythtv-users] OT: How's this hardware list looking?

Damian damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Fri Jun 13 19:53:25 UTC 2008

I'm upgrading an old 1.2gb Athlon machine with this list. I'm years out
of date with kit, but have been reading a lot to catch up. Let me know
any thoughts on this for a FE/BE machine that's also the main network
server in the house and used lightly as a general PC and I like Compiz
effects.

Motherboard:
-Gigabyte GA M56S-S3 AM2 Motherboard
(Works find with Ubuntu from what I've read and has everything I need)

CPU:
-AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ 2.50GHz (Retail AM2)
(I should maybe go a bit slower to save a few pounds, but feeling greedy.
Really wasn't sure what to pick here so any thoughts are appreciated)

Graphics card:
either
-XFX GeForce 6200LE Turbo Cache 64/256MB PCI-E
or
-Asus GeForce 7300GT 256MB Silent PCI-E
(the family man on a budget in me wants to got for the 6200
the man who used to be obsessed with speed and games wants to got for
the 7300
I'm not sure WHAT I'd get out for the 7300 other than a slightly better
experience when I occasionally look at games for 3 minutes. Do Linux
games even use the extra power? Thoughts on this choice would be
appreciated. MythTV is by for the main use of the machine. It's attached
to a SD projector, but I might upgrade that in a year or two to HD)

Memory:
-Patriot 2GB PC2-6400 C4 Extreme Performance (2x1GB) memory
(again, maybe this is overkill, but I don't want to be upgrading for a
while and Ubuntu is just going to get greedier)

That should all go together fine in may old brick of an ATX case in the
garage shouldn't it?

All comes to about £150
Closer to £100 would have been nice. Maybe I've been pointlessly greedy
with a couple of things.

Let me know if I'm totally over or under estimating something or any
thoughts.

Cheers
Damian