[mythtv-users] OT: Grrr Motherboards!

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Thu Jun 12 22:50:47 UTC 2008

On Thu, June 12, 2008 3:43 pm, Mark Greenwood wrote:
> On Thursday 12 June 2008 23:22:52 Yan Seiner wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, June 12, 2008 3:04 pm, Mark Greenwood wrote:
>>
>> > I'm using a Gigabyte board which has 3 PCI-E, one PCI-Ex16 (which has
>> my
>> > NVIDIA card in it) and 3 PCI slots. The graphics card obscures one of
>> the
>> > PCE-E slots but all 3 PCI slots are useable. If you want to know the
>> model
>> > number let me know and I'll have the case off and have a look.
>>
>> man lshw
>>

> I assume that's some kind of helpful comment? Sorry but I don't speak
> geek, what does it mean?

Sorry.  lshw is a command line utility that LiSts HardWare.  man lshw
should give you the manual page on how to use it.

If run as root, it will list all sorts of things, including the model
number and version of your motherboard.  No need to crack the case to get
a complete list of your hardware - in fact lshw lists far more things
about your hardware than you can typically read off the hardware itself.

--Yan

--
  o__

As long as nobody gets hurt, a decent explosion livens up any experiment.